If you have a problem with this site
Page last updated on 3rd November 2002
All rights reserved
© Splat! Web Design Services
Site best viewed at screen resolution of 800 X 600 or above.
The Atherington 1878 Post Office Directory Listing
Transcribed below is the 1878 Post Office Directory Listing for Atherington
ATHERINGTON is a pleasant village and parish on an eminance, 7 miles S.S.E. from Barnstaple,
8 miles W. by S. of South Molton, and E.N.E. of Torrington. Its parish is in Barnstaple union, archdeconry, rural deanary,
and county court district, Braunton petty sessional division, Northern division of the county and North Tawton hundred. It
had 578 inhabitants (285 males, 293 females) in 1871, living in 110 houses on 3326 acres of land, and includes the hamlets
of Langridge and Eastacombe. The Rev. A.C. Bassett is Lord of the manor of Umberleigh, which extends over
this and High Bickington parish, and had an ancient chantry chapel, which was pulled down in 1800. Buriate is an
estate belonging to Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge; and Wootton belongs to the representatives of the
Melhuish family. The manor of Umberleigh was formerly held by the Beaumonts, whose heiress (Jane Beaumont) carried it
in marriage to Sir John Bassett, ancestor of the present owner. Risdon says that Athelstane had a place at Umberleigh,
and that he founded a church at Atherington, which he endowed with two hides of land. The CHURCH (St Mary), a fine old structure
consisting of nave, chancel, north aisle, and tower containing seven very good bells, was improved in 1876 by lamps
being added, and the church re-decorated at the cost of £50. Many of the seats in the nave have handsome carved ends.
On the south side of the chancel are two windows filled with stained glass - one in memory of members of the rectors family,
and the other of Amy Chichister, who died in 1863; and two others on the north side are also enriched with stained glass.
On a tombstone in the chancel are brasses in memory of Sir John Bassett (who lived in the reign of Henry VII.) and his two
wives and twelve children; in this part of the church are also two recumbent effigies (male and female). There is a very
fine oak screen which was bought from Umberleigh chapel. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £:26 2s 1d, has a manor attached,
and is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. James Arthur, B.A., who has 205A 3R 21P.
of glebe and a good residence, erected in 1837, at the cost of £:1000. The tithes are commuted at £416 a year.
In the village is a small chapel belonging to the BAPTISTS. THE CHURCH SCHOOL, erected in 1864, to hold 60 children, at a
cost of £300, is attended by 30 pupils; a house for the teacher was built in 1876 at an outlay of £150. The
BRITISH SCHOOL, in connection with the BAPTIST CHAPEL, is attended by about 60 children. The poor have £2 10S
yearly as the interest of Lady Chichester's charity.
Andrew John, farmer, Umberleigh Barton