NEED HELP?
If you have a problem with this site
Please contact:
webmaster@high-bickington.org.uk
title
Site section index's

Home

Local News

The Village

Village People

The Church/Religion

The School

Local Organisations

Local Countryside

Contact Us!

Chat Room

Search this site


splat!
Page last updated on 29th May 2002
All rights reserved
© Splat! Web Design Services
 

St Mary's Church - High Bickington


The church tower is hung with eight bells and bellringing has been a hobby of many locals over the years as well as entertaining many visiting teams.

The first five bells were installed in 1753, although it is not known if there were bells in the tower prior to this. A sixth bell was added in 1827 and the Octave was completed in 1911.

The bells are inscribed and dated as follows:

Bell numberInscription Date
1GLORY TO GOD IN
THE HIGHEST
WE 1753
2AND ON EARTH PEACE WE 1753
3GOOD WILL TO MEN1911
Re-cast in that year
4THOS. SCOTT AND
MR JOHN SHUTT CHWNS
WNS 1753
5REV MR JOSHUA
WORTH RECTOR
1753
6ADDED BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION
T Mears of London fecit
REV W P STANSWELL RECTOR
R WEBBER M COOKE CHURCHWARDENS
1827
7IN MEMORY OF
KING EDWARD VII
1911
8GOD SAVE KING GEORGE V1911